Thursday, 13 April 2017

Tess of the d'Urbervilles Book Review


Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy follows Tess Durbeyfield from a young girl where she finds out that her she descends from the d'Urbervilles, a wealthy family, to a woman and is set in 19th Century Wessex. (That's the best description I can give as I never know how to describe classics.)

I don't know where to even start with this one... I was really craving a classic and have been wanting to read Tess of the d'Urbervilles for ages, so choosing it to read next was a no brainer really.

At first I was incredibly confused for so many reasons. 1) it was told in third person, 2) it was old English and words were written how you would say them with an accent, 3) it was nothing like what I was expecting.

For the first part of the book (there was seven parts in total) I was so confused and kept sating "eh?" at everything. However, I think it was partly down to me reading some of the book as an audiobook. I can't read a book via an audiobook, I need to be actually reading it.

I really liked the second part of the book, Phase The Second: Maiden No More. I was quite interesting. I also really enjoyed Phase The Third and Phase The Fourth and they were one of my favourite parts. My absolute favourite part was by far Phase The Seventh: Fufilment, like WTAF?! It was just so unexpected.

Even though it wasn't that long, it took me forever to finish, but that is just down to it being a classic. Since I am not used to old English and how classics are written, it takes me a while to process what they are actually saying and what is going on.

Overall, I ended up giving Tess of the d'Urbervilles 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.



1 comment:

  1. Oohh I read Tess as part of my english course last year, and I think you pretty much summed it up for me. I liked it, but in a ehhh uhhh ohhh ahhhh... kind of way! Compared to other classsics it's far from being one of my favourites though :)

    Anne // www.aportraitofyouth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete