Thursday, 16 March 2017

A Quiet Kind Of Thunder Book Review



A Quiet Kind of Thunder is about Steffi, a selective mute, and Rhys, who is deaf. They are put together at school because they can both use sign language and so a friendship begins.

One of my friends read this a while ago and kept saying how good it was and I was really intrigued as I have never read a book with either a mute or deaf character, let alone both. I was a little worried on how the sign language would be included in the book, but it worked really well how they just put it in bold. I love how it teaches you about what it is like to be deaf or have selective mutism instead of just being about someone who has that disability. Reading A Quiet Kind of Thunder made me want to learn sign language and thanks to the end papers which have the alphabet and numbers 1 - 10 on them, I know a little of it.
It was just such an adorable read that was unlike anything I have ever read. Yes it is a love story and I have read plenty of love stories, but A Quiet Kind of Thunder was completely different. I fell in love with it right from the get go and just binge read it until I was finished. I got completely sucked in, especially with the argument between Steffi and Tem, and with Rhys' accident.

Throughout the whole book I just kept saying to myself 'they are so cute!' about Rhys and Steffi. At the beginning of their friendship I loved how it was quite awkward, like when they watched Atonement together. I really enjoyed the light-hearted comedy throughout the book, especially the part with Rhys' mum in chapter 8. Chapters 23 to 27 were also really good, purely because of how cute and funny there were. Some of the characters I didn't like. Steffi's mum infuriated me because of how she treated Steffi and her disability, Karam seemed a little fishy ad I just don't know how I feel about Tem.

I ended up giving A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

Have you read any of Sara Barnard's books?




No comments:

Post a Comment